02 March 2012

Why I'm excited to be in love.

Ya, that's right. I'm excited to find someone to love. I'm a young 20-something male (last time I checked) and I think I have a serious problem. Every once in a while I get on chick blogs. You know the kind. They talk about arts and crafts and marriage. In fact, sometimes I find myself stalking the young and in love blogs. Or the funny, young and dating blogs. Or the previously divorced and in love blogs. (One of my secret favorites. These two are pretty incredible.) The ones that actual married couples write about being married. Which is so un-manly in its entirety. But I do it. Because I love love. I do.

However, I have a problem with the whole process. And a few of my own ideas of why so many of these little relationships are doomed to failure before they start. It's because of codependency. What is codependency you ask?

Well look at Romeo and Juliet.

Its the perfect example. Two people who place so much importance on being together that it takes precedence over their own well being. That is entirely unhealthy. Also, those kids were like 14 and 17. In my not so humble opinion, those two were addicted to the drama of their relationship. "Star-crossed lovers"? Bull. They were two rebellious kids trying to find a way to lash out. But that's just me.

But here's a bigger problem. I see people my age (ca. 24) doing the exact same thing. Being crazy. Not to be confused with crazy in love. Just straight up crazy. I have several friends (that's right, not just one) who are in completely unstable relationships. When they fight it literally sounds like World War 3. And when their done, the room looks like it was nuked. Love should not be a terrorist.

Look at the little graphic I made. Too many relationships I see are like this. I know that relationships are a roller coaster. I get that. Its not always going to be daises, long walks on the beach and listening to the latest musings of gossip girl. But a relationship should not be that up and down.

I had a buddy who said, "Yeah, we fight a bit. Okay a lot. And yeah, they can be pretty bad. But the good times are really good."

I get that. I've been there, to be honest. But its about minimizing the roller coaster. Find a happy medium and stay there. There will be hiccups, I'm not ignorant of that. But look... if its always up and down, something is not right. It really doesn't matter how bad you want it to work. Its not healthy.

I had another dear friend who related her story to me. She said that her road to marriage seemed like it was one fight after the other. The engagement was the worst. It seemed as if they were fighting about everything. When I asked her why she stuck with it and stayed on the path to marriage she said she prayed about it and felt that her answer was yes. She just knew they were meant to be married.

She's now divorced.

(This girl is drop dead gorgeous, extremely intelligent, and a spiritual powerhouse so I won't attack her judgement call on this one. However, I think that this general issue must be addressed at some point. I believe that far too often individuals get the Spirit mixed with their own personal feelings of love and often mix the signals. Just because you want it to work out and have prayed about it DOES NOT mean that your work is done. Your continued warm feelings towards that individual does not constitute Gods answer to your prayers. But that's another post for another day my friends.)

The solution to this whole thing is what I call intradependency. Not to be confused with interdependency. In my mind, the term 'intra' refers to a much more intimate relationship. And I don't mean sexual. The best relationships I've seen are when two people know who they are and what they want out of life and meld the two together. Their lives are then the beautiful ugly sweater of hopes and dreams that they knit themselves.

That's what I want. And its why I'm excited to be in love.

I can't wait to come home from my day and get to share it with the girl I love. I can't wait to hear about her day. I can't wait to develop a genuine interest in whatever it is that her life revolves around. I can't wait to be forced (let's be honest, I probably won't be forced) to watch chick shows. I can't wait to randomly show up to her place of employment with her favorite variation of a Cafe Rio salad. I can't wait to wake up to her kiss. I can't wait to plan vacations with her and our friends. I can't wait to have random adventures with her. I can't wait to hear her real laugh, not just the one she gives everyone else. I can't wait to look in her eyes and be able to see that she loves me. I can't wait for that rush of heat when I think of her. I can't wait to have conversations late into the night about why cheer-leading is or isn't a sport. I can't wait to give random gestures of romantic grandeur. I can't wait to tell her she doesn't look fat in those jeans. I can't wait to have a consistent date to plays and musicals. I can't wait to get overly excited about my non-profit and entrepreneurial business ventures and have someone that I can talk to about it. I can't wait to have a personal cheer section at my sporting events. I can't wait to hate her new haircut or color but say it looks great. I can't wait to feel her hand slide into mine when we're walking at the mall. I can't wait to photo bomb every cute picture she tries to take of us. I can't wait to be forced to try hot yoga. That's a lie. I can't wait to take her sailing and show her my hobbies. I can't wait to support her little blog about us. I can't wait to have my expectations blown out of the water when I meet her. I can't wait to buy her things. I can't wait to be her shoulder to cry on. I can't wait to be the one she turns to when she's scared or insecure. I can't wait to tease her. I can't wait to see her determination to finish something she's started. I can't wait to remember her favorite color and ice cream. I can't wait to know her favorite books and movies. I can't wait to send her off with her girlfriends and wait to hear about the reasons why she's glad she's not single when she gets back. I can't wait to feel the jealousy and simultaneous approval of all my friends when they see how good we are together. I can't wait for a reason outside of myself to be motivated. I can't wait to tell people how we met. I can't wait for her and my mom to become best friends. I can't wait to be surprised by learning something new after I think I know everything about her. I can't wait to live to see her smile. I can't wait to challenge her to a thumb war to see who does the dishes then helping her anyway. I can't wait to find the girl that becomes my perfect 10.

I can't wait to make her proud. I can't wait to protect and provide for her. I can't wait to finally feel at home when I'm next to her.

I can't wait to be in love.

5 comments:

  1. You wanna find that girl? Go where someone like that would hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen.

    ps...hot yoga is the worst experience you will ever have and it will 9 out of 10 times be followed promptly by a trip to the nearest Cold Stone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you waiting for boy?!?! GO FIND HER!!!
    there is a girl out there amongst all the other broads and beasts and other B words that is waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chad! I had a completely random dream about you and Amelia Wallace last night, so I looked you up on facebook to see how you were doing and found your blog. Very enjoyable, and I am definitely in the cheerleading section in hopes that you find true love and soon.

    ReplyDelete