05 March 2012

Parental Units

"Why are you so whiny on your blog?"

One of the many comments Unk (aka my Father) decided to throw my way regarding the most recent post.

For anyone else who thinks that Unk was right, that's not at all the way I meant it. The little rant at the end of the monologue on up and down relationships was just my way of showing what I was/am excited for in a future relationship and a way of pulling out the best lessons learned with my previous girlfriends. If it was seen as anything more, my apologies. It was not intended as such.

But this brings up an interesting point. My relationship with my father.

A few of my friends are lucky enough to see our relationship. They think our candidness is awesome, and they can't help but laugh when they hear us talk to each other or interact. And I think that that showmanship is actually a huge part of who we are.

But here's a little fact that I don't always think is abundantly clear.

I respect the hell out of my old man.

I've been living more or less at home for the last 6-8 months. And I'll be honest. It's kinda hard. But its been quite a bit of fun as well. Most of all, its been enlightening. I've gotten to see my parents as I've never seen them before. You see, I moved out 6 years ago. Since that time I spent maybe a total of 4 or 5 months at home. This isn't unusual for college students.

When I moved out, I immediately grew closer with my parents. My mom learned to text and it has been the biggest blessing to our relationship. Except for when she forgets her phone. So every other day. And Unk refuses to learn how to text. So he usually calls me a couple times a day. Which I've come to realize I really enjoy.

Though I'm working on being my own man, I hope to be able to carry on the Arnett honor that my dad exemplifies. He took the torch from my grandfather, Howard Marshall, and continued running. If I turn out to live and love and influence half as well as those two men, I will have a happy and fulfilled life. Of that I have no doubt.

So, even if some of the things they do and say get on my nerves/annoy me, the fact of the matter is they love me and I love them. I know they always have my back, and I have theirs.

So this ones for you parental units. I love ya. Sorry for raising as much hell as I can and shortening your lives.

1 comment: