28 March 2013

True Equality

Not that I have much sway on this topic at all, but I've been asked my stance multiple times in the last few days. So this is my two cents. Please, read it all before you attack.

I'm all for Marriage Equality. I too believe that love is love and that this is a civil rights issue. Some of my favorite people and greatest friends are homosexual. I love them the same as I love the rest of my friends, am happy for their accomplishments and deeply believe in everyone's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And that is all there is to it.

Or is there more?

Who are we kidding, there is always more. I have one problem with my own line of thought. We are talking about so much more than just one issue, both in the present and in the future.

You see besides being an advocate for marriage equality, I'm also a Mormon. A proud Mormon. I love my religion and what it does for me personally. I love the feelings of peace I get when I go to church, when I visit the Temple, and fulfill my callings. I served a two year mission for my church and loved my time doing it. I am all about sharing my faith because of how much it helped me. That being said, many members of my family are not Mormon, some of my best friends are not Mormon, and I would never force my beliefs on anyone.

There is so much more at risk with this issue for individuals of faith than we are immediately looking at.

The LDS church released a Proclamation regarding the family over 10 years ago. In it, the leaders of the Church define a marriage as a union between one man and one woman. This is important for many reasons. This is coming from a church that at one time practiced polygamy, or the concurrent marriage of one man and multiple women.

My biggest personal concern is the effect this heated issue will have on my personal future rights. I am not a bigot. I am not a hate monger. But I will continue to believe that homosexuality is a sin. The same way drinking, smoking, using illegal drugs, having premarital sexual relations, taking the Lords name in vain, cursing, and any other myriad of human behavior is a sin.

And I have news for you. I'm a sinner. I have temptations like everyone else. I'm far from perfect, and I always will be.

However, if marriage equality passes and my church continues to preach that homosexuality is a sin, we will be labeled as intolerant. Our rights to freedom of speech and freedom to worship how, where and what we may will be infringed upon the same way homosexuals right to marry are currently infringed upon.

Don't believe me? Just look at our history. Then look at this study done on the effects of same sex marriage in Canada.
Same Sex Marriage -- 10 Years Later

Anyone interested in assessing the impact of same-sex marriage on public life should investigate the outcomes in three spheres: first, human rights (including impacts on freedom of speech, parental rights in public education, and the autonomy of religious institutions); second, further developments in what sorts of relationships political society will be willing to recognize as a marriage (e.g., polygamy); and third, the social practice of marriage.

Understanding that this study may be skewed in one direction or another, this still presents a great point. If/when same sex marriage passes, my ability to speak out against it will be significantly hindered. I can be prosecuted for voicing my beliefs. My church can be fined and called intolerant, bigots, hateful and any other myriad of names.

Additionally, how involved will the government become in organizational law? Will they enforce laws requiring Mormon bishops to perform homosexual civil marriages? Will they require that the temple sealing ordinance be extended to same sex marriages? Can they do that? 

In my perfect world, we would be able to be tolerant of each others tolerance. We would allow same sex marriage as well as the ability to consider it to be against the laws of God. I could go to the wedding of my homosexual friends, support their love, and be happy for them while they simultaneously respect my right to believe that acting on those desires is wrong.

But this world isn't perfect. This country isn't perfect. We have a thousand important issues that need to be addressed besides this one. We face a time of change. We have the ability to shape our future. We have the ability to work towards a better world full of understanding, hope, and Love.

A friend of mine posted the following:
"Today I have heard from people who feel so strongly for both sides of the gay marriage issue. People on both sides feel both empowered by their cause, and threatened, belittled and undervalued by their opponents. I ask everyone, no matter what your stand on the issue, to remember one thing: People are inherently good, and proponents of both sides feel they are doing the right thing. Every person has a different story and, consequently, a different understanding. No matter what you believe, speak out, and effect change! But remember that we are all just trying to get it right."
I can not state my feelings in any more eloquent a way than that.

Let us understand each other, let us love each other, and let us build a better future for ourselves and our children. We have the ability to come together in a way never before seen to find the right answers and make this country of ours a great place for all peoples once again.

I truly hope everyone who reads this understands where I'm coming from. I do believe in marriage equality. I do believe in gay rights. I want my homosexual brothers and sisters to be able to find happiness and tolerance in this world. But I also want to retain my rights and I'm deeply concerned about where these roads will lead. I wish it wasn't a "your rights or mine" type of issue, but until we can come together in love and understanding, it always will be.

I am not conservative. I am not liberal. I am an American. I am human. Like every single one of you. I pray we can come together and find the right solution that will benefit all. Like my friend said, '...we are all just trying to get it right.'

3 comments:

  1. well stated, enjoyed the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this post. I think it will really help people understand what legalizing marriage between two men or two women can possibly do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paps here. Like you, I've had friends with same sex attraction. In my mind, they didn't choose to be homosexuals, they just were. I can't speak to whether others choose to be. I don't know.

    I come from a generation that was part of the civil rights movement. We had race riots at our high school with police on campus. We saw the ugliness of violence. Nevertheless, I think, "we got it right", or are still trying to get it right.

    Homosexuals of my era were shunned. They were called bad names, and I am sad to say I used some of those terms -- behind their backs of course, because I was a coward or maybe, just maybe, deep down I knew it was wrong. Interesting though, one of mine and your uncle's friends was both African-American and homosexual. We shared rides to high school and college. We liked him and he liked us. He was a friend. Yet, as for other homosexuals, we looked at them differently. Call it what you will -- a result of the time in which we lived, or just plain evilness on my generation's part, but it was wrong.
    So, that's where I'm coming from. Also, understand I am writing my opinion. And, as I have taught you, "opinions are like orifices of the human body...everybody has them". I'll leave it to you to decide which orifice my opinion comes from.

    I think the issue of gay marriage has to do with the separation of church and state. I have no problem with gay couples marrying in a civil ceremony by a govt. official. I believe homosexuals should have every right and benefit given to any couple who wishes to get married.

    But, let me pose this question to you. If a law or Supreme court ruling made it so gay marriage must be recognized by everyone, specifically religious organizations, wouldn't that infringe on the separation of church and state? Isn't that forcing religions to believe what the state legislates?

    But, what if a legislation or court ruling stated that gay marriage only had to be recognized by government and civil institutions, etc. Meaning, religious organizations would not have to perform or recognize these marriages. Would that be acceptable to religions? It might be more palatable to most. The question is, would it be acceptable to the LBGT community. I'm not sure, but I don't think some gay rights advocates would accept it.

    If gay marriages are imposed upon religious bodies, it would mean endless litigation in the name of equal marriage rights. Would ministers, bishops, rabbis, Imans or priests be forced by law to perform these marriages if gay couples were members of their congregation, or, even if they were not? These are the questions that are awaiting us.

    With my limited knowledge. I don't know how many religions believe homosexual behavior is acceptable in the sight of God. Maybe, there are some. As I wrote that last line I felt a sense of guilt to my fellow beings who have same sex attraction -- as if I am better because I am heterosexual. It's a quandry most of us feel. I feel intolerant and judgmental, nevertheless, forcing religions to accept the premise of gay marriage is asking most religions to change their doctrine and beliefs.

    I don't know God's ways. He has said "my ways are not your ways". All I have to go on is the scriptures, prophetic revelation, both past and present, and current doctrine from my church that I try to adhere to.
    The world needs something greater that will solve issues like this. Oh wait, there is something coming. You know. when the Saviour of the World comes to rule and reign. I believe He will "get it right" for all concerned and that it will be just for everyone.

    But, until then, gay marriage should be a civil matter with all civil and governmental rights given to homosexual couples. It is also my opinion that there should not be any legislation forcing any religion to perform or recognize these marriages. In other words, a complete separation of church and state with regard to this issue.

    ReplyDelete